Monday 2 January 2017

Are we developing a culture of growing emptiness inside us?

A cool dude with a real happening life, partying almost every night, having the latest gadgets some of them not even in the open market yet. One who is seen in a new car every 6 months. Man .... such a cool life he has. Music, Money, Dance, Party what else do you need in life. Everyone wants that kind of life isn't it? Yes I and many of us are running behind that.
I started with a job paying me just 2.5K, the work was great and exactly what I wanted - the Robotics but I switched in a matter of few days and got into a bigger and better company. Bigger and better not in terms of where I wanted to work but in terms of salary and perks that they had and the building they operated out of and the location of the office. Yes that was the beginning of digging my soul - not to find the treasure inside BUT to make make myself hollow.
Now I had a good salary almost 10 times of my previous company, and the office was located in one of the best locations of Bangalore right opposite to Christ College and almost next to The Forum Mall. Free transportation, free meals and beverages, gift on festivals, trainings, professional memberships, certification reimbursements, insurance even for parents - Man what else do you need. I was so happy that I forgot what I wanted rather I killed my dreams or I should say the feeling of having that flashy lifestyle strangled my dreams which could have given me happiness.
And in less than an year, another switch and yet again for the same purpose a better salary and this continued. With each jump I got a better salary and I compromised on my dreams, in terms of the kind of work, the place, the people and everything. I kept digging myself hollow, consoling myself that I am growing and getting better and better - is that the reality? Was I not aware? Why am I so weak that I cannot get out of this Rat Race? What am I trying to achieve? What will that extra money buy me? I do not have an answer to any of these questions but still I have a strong urge to earn more and more.
I have lived almost half my life and will be working/earning for another 20 years or so. What is it that I will have after 20 years - a comfortable house to live in which you cannot call home because it will be just 2 old people living there with noone even to talk to? Some money to buy groceries and medicine and probably a nice expensive car, similar to the one that I wanted since I was a kid. Again to no use as I wont have enough energy and excitement to take that car out.
Wasn't my pervious generation much better? They have all that I will have, just that I might get a version 2.0 of the same things, an upgrade; but they have people to talk to, they have a life, even though their kids "I" have almost abandoned them but they are still human beings and look at what I have done to myself. I am no more than a Robot. I am programmed, I need an organizer for every activity I do. I set reminders even to buy flowers for my loved ones. And those flowers are virtual in many cases, even though I might be in the same city and sometimes in the same locality/apartment as my loved one.
I do not have time for my family and friends, I am so busy that I make FB and Whatsapp groups and then forward a "Happy New Year" message to all the groups and I am done. I do not even pick up the phone to call my friends (not that it costs me) just that I have programmed myself, the human factor that I had is dug up hollow. I do everything either because I have to do it, or I think that is a right thing to do or to create a perception on social media that I am happy and happening. I try to measure my happiness and success with the number of likes and comments on my posts. I do not bother to meet someone and see how they feel when I am with them. I do not do anything for myself or anything that makes me happy.
What have I done to my creativity, what have I done to my feelings and emotions, what have I done to my dreams? What have I done to Myself? and is it just me or this is all the people in my generation?

No comments:

Post a Comment